Thursday, August 5, 2010

Vienna, Austria




I'm so sorry I had to leave the reception office cuz they close at 5pm, so I lost my wifi connection! I will go stand by the door tonight to send u this email because it's the only way I can pick up the wifi afterhours.
Anyways when I go use the wifi I usually sit at the reception office, which is the only public seating area this Hostel has.  I chose this hostel named Labyrinth because well, honestly, it was the only one located downtown Vienna. I would usually go for the better hostels, but this time they were all far away from all the sightseeing and attractions. So I will just have to endure all the bad things this hostel has going for itself, I read a few of the reviews on it, and they are all pretty bad. So I am definitely sacrificing comfort for location, you can say.

Well I am excited, but yet a little nervous, for this will be the first city I'll be riding the subway and trams in.  I hope not to get lost. German, the primary language spoke here, is really hard to understand, so I downloaded this really good iPhone app called MetroTransit, which doesn't require wifi, which works great for me, since I am not on a 3G network and most places don't offer wifi.  I can't wait to see the city, so far from what I seen it looks beyond beautiful.  It's so clean, and it has such beautiful monuments.  I know there is a lot of history on Vienna, and I hope to learn as much as I can while I am here.

Anyways so there is this guy Alex that works at the hostel (he just added me on Facebook, creepy!).. I think we have one of those love hate "friendship" of some sort, his a little bipolar towards me, and I don't quite get it, like where is your professionalism?! Well thankfully this hostel was very close to the train station where I arrived, which was one of the reasons I chose this hostel too.  As I walked in to check-in, the hostel's receptionist, Alex, saw me struggling with me suitcase on wheels (I guess most backpackers travels with a big backpack) with full face make up on and a little yarn dress, told me that I chose the wrong hostel, and pointed out another one "more my type" on the map.  Well, hello.......? Who does he think he is to judge me, and tell me I won't like this place?  After I gave him the confused look he said "You don't look like your every day backpacker, I am saving you from the troubles" Okay I guess he was trying to look out for me, I did read in the reviews that the hostel wasn't safe, and there was a lot of theft.  Well I decided to say, I mean I wasn't traveling with nothing of value.  So fortunately Alex offered me a free upgrade into a better room.  Which I would only be sharing it with 3 other girls, instead of the cheap co-ed room I originally had planned on, which I'd be sharing it with 15 people...

Walking up the hostel stairs was creepy, the location of the hostel definitely is deceiving. It was an old and dirty run-down building, small bathrooms, I was just happy for my upgrade, I don't think I would have lasted in there with 15 strangers. As I walked in to my room, it was small, but  peaceful. my roomates were there, they seemed pretty nice girls, one was from France, and the other two were both from Japan, all spoke very little English. It was already late, so I went out for a hot meal, and came back to my room around 10pm.  I am exhausted so I will go to bed early and wake up for a long yet exciting day.

The next day, I went around the whole city, I even visited the University of Wien.  Wien is just another name for Vienna by the way.  I also took the train to Schönbuun, it was one of the only places far away from my hostel. Took about 30 minute train ride there, but def worth it.   The weather is super cold and cloudy, so unfortunately I wasn't able to take great pictures because of all the fog covering my view, but I did enjoy every minute of it.

 I might have under packed winter clothes on this trip, I am freezing, and at night it gets so much worst, so tonight I will go around to a popular street, where there is lots of shops in hope to find a turtle neck shirt, and maybe even a scarf. The more layers the better right now.

Anyways tomorrow around 11am. I leave for Prague in Czech Republic! I hear it's beaaaaaautiful there! It's actually one of the top 5 rated places to go VISIT worldwide! I really thought Vienna was beautiful and much more than I expected it to be. It will be hard for any city to top it! For a quick minute, I felt like I'm at Disney World.... Get a map, follow it to the places you want to go, get on the train, metro or trams!!! It's all so EASY to get around this city. Seriously.... Anyone could do this. I never knew it would be this easy, this cool, and this safe! I still have plenty more places to go and see, so let the travels begin...................

No comments:

Post a Comment