Sunday, August 21, 2011

Oh Stick Shift.

They say
"driving a stick shift car is one of the best feelings for a car enthusiastic"
well I am not a car enthusiastic,
So for me it is was one of the scariest feelings while in traffic.
(YIKES!)


I first learned to drive when I was 15 years old,
I remember my dad taking me out to an empty packing lot,
 and we would practice almost every weekend.

But little did I know, I was a very fortunate driver
because I was learning to drive an automatic car.
And my biggest obsticle was the scary "parallel parking"

Well that was over 9 years ago,
and since then I've mastered my driving skills.

But in 2009 I decided I wanted to move back to
my home country of Brasil.
In Brasil, the only way to get your drivers licenses
is by passing a driving test on a stick shift.

So.....I enrolled into Auto School.
After hours and hours of expensive Auto school,
I had enough experience to get my licenses.

I must admit, I was NOT comfortable at all driving stick shift on the road alone.
I only was comfortable enough to pass the test,
(because I had practiced in the course, so many times)

Soon after, I went back to United States,
and never had an opportunity to put my new skills to the test.
and I thought to myself:
 "all those hours practicing with the clutch went to waste"

But remember that old saying,
 "everything happens for a reason"?
Well, my life takes more turns than I expect.
And right now, living in Belgium, has put my driving stick skills to the test.

I was not prepared to have been given an manual car upon landing.
I didn't even have time to refresh my skills.
I was so intimidated,
as I rememebred the feeling of panic and embarrasement I felt when
my car would stall in traffic.

Well after a few moments days of stalling in mid traffic in Antwerp
Today, is my third day driving.
And I feel much more confident and comfortable.

and guess what??
.....I'm kinda loving it...

I am so proud of myself for finally putting
those auto school lessons to work.
That was money well spent.
Those lessons came in handy.

Next step......
teaching my boyfriend how to drive.
(wish me luck...)


No comments:

Post a Comment