Saturday, August 20, 2011

Arriving in Antwerpen

Why, Hello Belgium!


On August 17th at approx 6am (Belgium time)
We arrived at the Brussels Airport.
Right away, a Antwerp Giants team official was on sight,
ready to pick us up and assist us to our new home.
but not before where we take some passport photos for immigration residency purposes

Brussels Airport is located about an hour South of Antwerp,
aka our new home
But before going to our apartment,
we had a few stops to make.

First one being the dealership called
CitroEn.
Where a beautiful Picasso 4-door vehicle was waiting for us
This car is perfect, brand new and very spacious.
but....it is MANUAL.

"Ohh oh"... Julian says.
As many other Americans, Julian never learned to drive a stick shift,
most cars in America are automatic, so there was never a need for him to ever learn
UNTIL NOW!
but looking on the bright sight, I had a few lessons and background experience driving
a stick shift since I am from BRASIL,
And in Brasil, driving a stick shift is a MUST.
 so I offered to drive it home.
actually it was our only way to take our new car home.

I am not going to lie,
I was a little intimidated to drive it at first, and I felt very pressured to do so.
the only time I had driven a stick shift car was my AUTO SCHOOL car,
and had my teacher seating next to me to guide me.
But I stucked it up and went for it.
Since I was the only one who could drive it.

PHEWWWWW!
To my surprise,
the ride from Citroen to the practice court of the Antwerp Giants basketball team
was carefree, i did a very good job, as the car did not stall.
(God was def. watching over us at that moment)

But then as the day went on, and we had erronds to run with team secretary and officals.
I started to get hungry, tired and cranky.
And all the sudden my stick shift skills went down hill.
Every other second the car would stall in mid traffic
Causing much irritation, embarrasing and panic to Julian and I,
as people would honk, and go around with an angry look in their faces.
(and I dont blame them, but geezz)

Thank Godness we were close to our new apartment
so we were able to pull up to our street and walk to our new home.

9th floor please......
We walk in to a very spacious apartment,
but a beautiful and huge view of the city of Antwerp.
The apt was a little dirty
but nothing that cant be cleaned.

I think Julian and I were happy see a bed
and get some sleep.

We were jetlegged and extremely tired.
and only the next day was a day to explore the city
and unpack our bags......

and let this big move,,,,, set in...


No comments:

Post a Comment