Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Antwerp on Fire

It was early afternoon
I was in the kitchen...
and 
BOOM!
BOOM !!
BOOM!!!

I heard it coming from outside,
but didn't think nothing of it,

Few minutes later,
I remember hearing a strange noise
 it sounded like running water

I thought to myself....
" maybe the walls in this apartment are thin"
and we can hear the drains through the wall.

Again, I didn' think to look outside
then I hear an even louder noise,
definitely thought...
this time it sounds like an explosion

I walk into our bedroom, open the blinds
and all I could see was a foggy 
DARK SKY

There was smoke covering our whole view
I panic, and screamed,
I wasn't sure if our building was on fire
or what was happening.

I started to hear sirens
I screamed to my boyfriend to look out the window
while thinking....
"We got to get out of here, now!"
Soon we realized the fire wasn't in our building
but in a warehouse in a lot right below us,
where tanks of gasoline were stored inside.

We could see the tanks blowing up,
causing even bigger flames.
The fire got so high,
We could feel the heat from our 9th floor window

We watched while the smoke spread covering our blue sky
while the Fire Department set up their hoses.

Took about an hour for them to put all the fire out.

Local news hasn't reported what cause the explosion
(gas tanks, may be the obvious cause though)
There was 73 people evacuated
3 injured, 
and a few were taken to the hospital due to 
inhaling too much smoke.

It was a very surreal experience 
I am glad everyone reacted quickly
And Thank God for keeping us safe

Actual picture, taken by my Ipad 2


No comments:

Post a Comment