Friday, April 22, 2011

Random Kindness


Last Wednesday
approx around 7pm at night
My boyfriend was walking me home from work,
(Which he rarely ever does)
We were 1 block away from being home at our residence at Georgetown University
Walking down PROSPECT AVE;
One of its popular street.

Noticeably…
 Coming our direction was a young man,
 I could tell he was a student
by the way he was dressed,
 in his button down shirt, and khaki pants.
And the obvious fact that he, alone, was carrying a large, bulky, empty Keg
in a big container.

We walked right by him,
And I couldn’t help but to stop, turn around, and think
I felt the need to automatically help him
As I watched him place the keg down on the floor every few steps he would take
In order to rest him hands and fingers

My boyfriend in the other hand, was in a rush to get home,
And didn’t think anything of it
until he looked back and saw that I wasn’t following behind him.
I was standing there, watching the young man resting on the keg
as we both watched the young man struggle carrying the keg the hilltop
I asked my boyfriend if he could help him,
he thought quickly to himself,
Without a response from him
I started walking toward the young man’s direction
And my boyfriend followed

"WHERE YOU HEADING?" I asked.
"Down the street to return this" he replied pointing at the silver keg
DO YOU NEED SOME HELP? -I asked
He looked at my boyfriend, making sure if he was willing to do it
and said “If you don’t mind I would”.
My boyfriend than said "we don't mind, lets go, I’ll hold one end"

I walked behind them, making conversation with the shy guy
Who introduced himself to us as Mike to us
Mike seemed grateful for the help,
He thanked us, and stated how it was really an unexpected act of kindness

 I could tell he was a little embarrassed,
Due to his stuttering speech
as he had recognized that my boyfriend
was someone he knew,
someone he once cheered for from the stands at Verizon Center
during  the HOYAS basketball game.

 We chatted up with Mike along the way to the liquor store
Mike was not only an International Politics major
but also a Georgetown University Student Body President,

Not only did this act of kindness impacted Mike's life
it also impact mine and my boyfriend’s.
It was an opportunity of kindness we could not have let it slip
and I know both parties would feel compensated from the act.

No comments:

Post a Comment